All Aboard, Pets
Small dogs and cats travel for $26 or 800 Amtrak Guest Rewards points.
Dogs and cats up to 20 pounds (combined weight of pet and carrier) are welcome on trips up to seven hours on most routes (some restrictions apply*). Our check-in process is simple, making traveling with your four-legged friend easy and enjoyable.
*Travel with pets in Canada not available on Adirondack, Maple Leaf and Amtrak Cascades; not available on Auto Train, Keystone Service, Pennsylvanian, San Joaquins, Capitol Corridor Pacific Surfliner or Thruway Connecting Services.
- There's a maximum of five pets per train (service animals do not count towards this limit), so we encourage you to make your pet reservations in advance.
- Reservations are limited to one pet per customer.
- Pet fee is assessed for each travel segment.
- Pets are permitted in Coach Class and Acela Business Class (pets are not allowed in Sleeping cars, non-Acela Business Class, food service cars or other accommodations).
- Reservations with pets are limited to seven hours total travel time, including transfer time between trains on multiple-segment trips.
- Pets cannot be booked with multi-ride tickets, Thruway Connection Services or with unaccompanied minors.
- In the event of a service disruption, Amtrak will make reasonable efforts to seek (but cannot guarantee) pet-friendly hotel accommodations, if sheltering is necessary.
Approved Pet Carriers
- Pet owners must provide a pet carrier, which may be hard or soft sided but must be leak proof and well ventilated..
- Maximum weight of pet with carrier is 20 pounds.
- The maximum size for pet carriers is 19" long x 14" wide x 10.5" high.
- For your pet's comfort and safety, it must be able to sit, lie down and remain entirely inside without touching the sides of the carrier.
- Your pet carrier counts as one piece of carry-on baggage.
Onboard and Station Guidelines
- Pets should remain entirely inside a closed carrier while in stations and onboard trains and must remain with you at all times; do not leave them alone.
- Onboard, place your pet carrier under your seat (not under the seat in front of you), except on Amtrak Cascades trains where you can put your pet carrier on the floor in front of the seat next to you.
- Pets are welcome in Coach class, but remember they may not travel in First class, non-Acela Business class, bedroom accommodations or food service cars.
- Some routes designate a specific Coach car for pets: Amtrak Cascades, Carl Sandburg, Illinois Zephyr, Illini, Lincoln Service, Saluki, Pere Marquette, Wolverine, Blue Water, Hiawatha and Missouri River Runner. On other pet friendly routes, you and your pet may ride in any Coach car.
Pet Check-In and Paperwork
- To confirm pet eligibility, you should read and sign a Pet Release and Indemnification Agreement for each travel segment.
- At staffed stations, check in at the ticket office no later than 30 minutes before departure to complete the pet release paperwork.
- At unstaffed stations, the conductor will confirm pet eligibility and provide you with the document to sign.
Pet Age and Health
- Your pet must be at least eight weeks old and be odorless, harmless, not disruptive and require no attention during travel.
- Amtrak maintains the right to refuse acceptance, and may remove any pet exhibiting these issues from stations or trains.
- You certify that your pet is up to date on all vaccinations and accept liability for your pet by signing the pet release document at check-in. Amtrak does not accept liability for the health and well-being of pets.