On most Amtrak trains, you have three options for seating accommodations. The availability of these options varies depending on your route and the type of train equipment in use.
You can upgrade your accommodations from Coach Class to First Class and Business Class seats on Amtrak.com, through our mobile applications, at a staffed station or over the phone at 1-800-USA-RAIL.
On trains with sleeping accommodations, you may be able to upgrade to a roomette or bedroom, availability permitting.
The Conductor can help you with a seat or sleeper upgrade on board your train if unsold space is available.
Accessible space is available on all trains for passengers with disabilities and mobility impairments.
Often referred to as Transfer Seats, accessible seats offer extra room making it easier for a passenger to transfer from a wheelchair into the seat, a passenger who uses a walker, a passenger with a leg in a cast that doesn’t bend and thereby requires additional legroom or a passenger with a large service animal, etc. There is room nearby to store a passenger's folded wheelchair.
There is no seat in the wheelchair space area, but passengers may park, and remain in, an occupied wheelchair here. There is no wheelchair lockdown device.
Learn more information about our Accessible Travel Services.
Amtrak will monitor seating of passengers to ensure compliance with the following policies:
- Amtrak reserves to itself full control and discretion as to seating of passengers.
- Amtrak reserves the right, whenever operating conditions require, to transfer passengers from one car or train to another en route.
- Each passenger paying a fare will be entitled to a seat, to the extent coach seats are available.
- Passengers are entitled to one seat per fare, to ensure other paying passengers are not excluded.
- Unless specific seats are assigned, seating is on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Seat availability is not guaranteed until we provide you with a reservation confirmation.
- On unreserved trains there are no guaranteed seats.
- Seating arrangements will be made without regard to race, color, gender, creed or national origin.
Seating is limited. Seats may not be available on all trains at all times