Making Reservations for Passengers with a Disability
There are several options to purchase tickets for passengers with a disability:
- Online and Mobile App: Reservations for one-way and round-trip train travel can be made on Amtrak.com and in the mobile app for passengers who travel with service animals; passengers who are deaf or have a hearing loss; passengers who are blind or have a vision loss; passengers who need space for a wheeled mobility device, access to the transfer accessible seat or an accessible room; or passengers with a disability who do not need assistance. Reservations can also include one adult companion.
- Telephone: Call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245). Agents are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and can assist you with reservations that include special service requests (oxygen equipment, special dietary requirements, etc.).
- TTY: Call 1-800-523-6590. Agents are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- At a Station Ticket Counter: Ticket agents at staffed stations are available to sell tickets during regular ticket office hours. Learn more about Amtrak Stations including accessible amenities at each station.
Passengers with disabilities and up to one traveling companion are eligible for a rail fare discount. Consult the discount detail page for discount amounts and any restrictions that may apply.
Please make a reservation for any of the following:
- Wheeled mobility device space
- Transfer accessible seats (for when you travel in a seat and stow your wheelchair)
- Accessible room accommodations
For these types of accommodations, reservations are encouraged on all trains, including on "unreserved trains" (on which reservations for standard seating is not required).
Accessible spaces for a wheeled mobility device and/or transfer accessible seats are limited. Please make your reservation in advance if possible to ensure availability.
Up until 14 days prior to the departure of each train from its origin city, reservations for accessible bedrooms may be made only for passengers with a disability who travel with a wheeled mobility device.
Passengers booking an accessible bedroom accommodation will be required to certify that they require one or more of the accessible features of the accessible room accommodation in order to book and receive the discount. Passengers are not required to indicate the type of disability they have but only that they require the accessible features due to a disability. Conductors on trains with accessible room accommodations will provide a self-certification form to be completed by the passenger.
Within 14 days prior to a train departure from its origin city, and if all other Bedroom and Family bedrooms have been reserved, accessible bedroom are made available to all passengers on a first-come, first-served basis. For this reason, we urge you to make your reservations as far in advance of travel as possible.
You must provide written documentation of your disability at the ticket counter and when boarding the train.
Acceptable documentation includes:
- Transit system ID card for persons with a disability
- Membership card from a disability organization
- Letter from a physician
- Medicare card, if under 65
- Veteran's Administration ID with "Service Connected"
- Disabled/Accessible parking placard issued by a state Department of Motor Vehicle (photocopy is acceptable).