How to Change Your Reservation
New travel plans? No problem. Here's some essential information that you'll need if you have to change your ticket.
- Changes. Amtrak is waiving all change fees for reservations made by August 31, 2020. This includes reservations booked with points. To modify a reservation, log in to your account, go to ‘Modify Trip’ on Amtrak.com, or find your reservation from your account on the home screen in the Amtrak app. A fare difference may apply to your new itinerary.
- Cancelations. Amtrak is waiving all cancelation fees for reservations made by August 31, 2020. This includes reservations booked with points. If you want to cancel your reservation without a fee, you must call 1-800-USA-RAIL and speak with an agent (not available via Amtrak.com or the Amtrak app).
Amtrak.com gives you the freedom to make quick and easy changes to existing reservations that were made online, through the Amtrak App or in a station anytime you want. Enjoy the flexibility of changing the dates and times of your departure and/or return trip or feel free to upgrade your seat or sleeping options. Changes can only be made if there is an email address on file through Amtrak.com or modify reservations through the Amtrak App. Once your changes are complete, your ticket barcode will automatically update, so there's no need to reprint your ticket. If you skip the paper route, you can simply show the PDF barcode to the conductor from your phone or tablet. It's that easy.
If you booked online at Amtrak.com, you can easily change your reservation online.
- If you made your reservation while logged into your Amtrak.com account, simply log into your account to begin the modification process.
- If you made your reservation on Amtrak.com as a guest, you'll need your reservation number and the email address or telephone number used while making the reservation to make changes.
On the app Home screen, you’ll see your upcoming travel listed, along with a form to retrieve other reservations. From here, there are two ways to change your trip.
- On the Home screen card that includes the barcode, tap “Trip Tools”, then select “Modify Reservation”.
- Enter a reservation number and an email or phone number to retreive your reservation details, then tap “Change Trip” right below the barcode.
If you don't see the change button, your reservation may not be changed through the app.
Amtrak doesn't charge a ticket change fee, but other fees may apply. Policies regarding ticket changes vary; limitations and exclusions apply.
If your trip includes an Acela train or one of the select Northeast Regional trains that offers assigned seating, you may select a different seat at any time. Go to Modify Trip on Amtrak.com or find your reservation in the Amtrak app to view or change your seat assignment. If you prefer, you can also talk to an agent in‐station, or call 800‐USA‐RAIL. When your seat assignment change is confirmed, you will receive an updated eTicket.