Updated: July 19, 2019
If you plan to enroll as a member in the Amtrak Guest Rewards program, please read this policy and also carefully read Section 9 of this Policy, which provides additional information related to the personal information that you provide to us to become a member in the Amtrak Guest Rewards program.
This policy describes:
- What personal and other information we collect and how we collect it (Section 2).
- With whom your personal information or other information may be shared and Your California Privacy Rights (Section 4).
- What security precautions we implement to protect the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information, including your credit card information (Section 5).
- How you can access, update, correct, or delete the personal information we collect from you (Section 6).
- What choices you have regarding the collection, use, and distribution of your personal information, including your ability to choose to receive promotional information by email (Section 7).
- How you can contact us regarding this Policy and our privacy practices (Section 8).
- What special privacy practices and rules are in place regarding the Amtrak Guest Rewards program web site (Section 9).
Please note that this Policy only addresses Amtrak privacy practices concerning information we collect from your use of the Site, and not other third party sites, mobile applications, or other sources. To the extent you are interacting with other sites, mobile applications, or sources, you should review their privacy policies, which will inform you as to how they treat your data. This Policy addresses how certain information collected from you is used by us when you visit other sites that are not affiliated with Amtrak.
We collect personal information in several ways from several different parts of the Sites. We ask for and collect personal information in the following circumstances:
When you Join Amtrak Guest Rewards, we may ask for the following personal information:
- Addresses (home, billing) (optional)
- Telephone number (optional)
- Email address
- Favorite departure and arrival points (optional)
- Payment card information (optional)
- Preferred passenger discount type (optional)
- Rail Passengers Association (RPA) membership numbers (optional)
- Employee pass rider information (optional)
- Date of birth (optional)
- Gender (optional)
- Purpose of trips (optional)
- Whether you want to receive offers by postal mail (optional)
- Whether you want to receive email updates
We store all of the information identified above in your User Profile which allows us to provide you with better service when you make reservations. We are able to pre-populate information for you during the reservations booking process, so you will not have to re-enter it each time you book a reservation.
We collect a certain amount of personal information about you (and, if necessary, your traveling companions) when you begin the reservation process and purchase tickets, whether you purchase tickets while logged into your Amtrak Guest Rewards account, or while not logged in (i.e., as a guest). We may also collect this information if you purchase your ticket in person or over the phone, and subsequently load it online to allow you easier access to your reservations. We use this information to fulfill your booking requests. This information includes:
- Your name
- Email address
- Mailing address (if necessary)
- Billing address
- Telephone number
- Credit card type, number, expiration date, and security ID
- Information related to your mobile payment account, such as Apple Pay (if you use a mobile payment account to purchase tickets or services)
- Travel and reservation information (departure and arrival points, dates of travel, train number, accommodations, names and number of travelers in your party, fares)
- Passenger discount types (if any)
- Ticket pick-up/delivery options
- Promotional codes used (if any)
If you purchase tickets for more than one person, we also ask for the name of each person traveling so that we may issue a ticket in each passenger's correct name. We do not use the names of these other passengers for any other purpose. We may also ask for your telephone number so that we can contact you in the event that there is a major scheduling change or cancellation of your train.
In addition, when you purchase tickets while logged into your Amtrak Guest Rewards account, we also save information about your canceled reservations, if any. Also, if you choose, we can save trip information regarding trips that you have researched, but have not yet booked. You also have the option to view a list of confirmed reservations you made online, as well as any canceled trips.
We collect some personal information from you when you make purchases through our online store for the purpose of fulfilling your order. This information includes:
- Email address
- Credit card type, number, expiration date
- Information related to your mobile payment account, such as Apple Pay (if you use a mobile payment account to purchase Amtrak merchandise)
- Dollar amount purchased
When you request information, such as brochures, timetables and gift catalogs, we collect information from you that is necessary to fulfill our service obligations to you. This information may include your name, address and telephone number.
If you contact Amtrak through the Site, such as through our Contact Us page, we may keep a record of that correspondence which includes your e-mail address and any other information you provide to us in your correspondence, such as your Amtrak Guest Rewards member account information.
Each time you access an Amtrak mobile application we collect some information automatically about your use of the application.
- Screens viewed and navigation through the application
- City level location
- Application version
- Geolocation data
- Passport Check-In stations
- Stations selected as favorites
- Train Status search method
- We also collect information about the device used to run the application.
- Operating system and version
- Device model
- Network service provider
Information collected about your usage and device is collected in the aggregate and can not be tied to a specific individual.
If an application has access to additional information on your phone, such as contacts or calendars, we do not automatically collect that information. This access is to allow you to interact with your information from within the Amtrak application.
Neither our services nor the Site are not directed at persons under the age of 13 and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you become aware that your child has provided us with their personal information, without your consent, then please contact us using the details in the Contact Us section so that we can take steps to remove such information and terminate any account your child has created with us.
We use the personal information that you provide or that we otherwise collect while you're using the Site in the following ways:
- To process your ticket purchases.
- To keep track of your reservations, saved plans, canceled reservations, and travel preferences.
- To make your experience on the Site more enjoyable and to provide you with offers and products that meet your particular interests.
- To help us refine Site design and layout, improve Site content, and compile demographic information about Site visitors.
- To help us understand how customers use the Site.
- To communicate with you in order to fulfill our service commitments.
- To notify you about special offers, promotions and Site enhancements by email, when you choose to receive them.
- When you shop online on the Site: If you make an online purchase from the Site, we use the information obtained during your visit, such as your credit card number and contact information, to process the order. To learn more about how we keep your credit card information secure, please refer to Section 5 of this Policy.
- While you are on the Site or via email, to deliver more relevant content to improve the customer experience.
- To help identify and troubleshoot technical issues you may encounter
- To maintain application leaderboards.
- Remind us of who you are and to access your account information (stored on our secure servers) to deliver to you a better and more personalized service. This temporary cookie is set when you begin the booking process or enter your login ID and password. This cookie is enabled only for the duration of your session.
- To estimate our audience size and usage of our Site, including measuring repeat usage of the Site.
- To deliver advertisements that are more relevant to you based on your interests, and to help measure the effectiveness of those advertising campaigns. This information may be shared with third party partners, such as advertisers, to help customize your user experience. The third party partners may also use this information to provide you with targeted banner ads about our products and services, and the products and services of our partners, even after you leave the Site and browse other non-affiliated websites (hereinafter “re-target advertising”).
- Measure and track certain traffic patterns, including information like the areas of the Site you have visited, and your visiting patterns in the aggregate. We may use this information to better personalize the content, banners, and promotions that you and other users will see on the Site.
- Remind us of pages on the Site you have browsed or train itinerary that you added to your cart, so that we may provide a more personalized experience.
- For your convenience so that when you return to the Site, you are identified. It allows us to recognize you upon visiting the Site, prior to logging in. However, we do require you to log in before doing any redemption, purchase or profile edits.
- Allow you to share information that you find on the Site and post it on other non-affiliated sites like Facebook, Twitter, and other third-party social media sites.
- Collect certain technical information from your computer or mobile device each time you request a page during a visit to the Site. This information is collected from your browser and may include, but may not be limited to, your IP address, operating system, browser software and other non-affiliated sites you have visited.
We work with certain reputable independent contractors who perform certain tasks for us on a contract basis. These tasks and categories of contractors include storing and managing customer information and providing advice about and support for our products and services. By using these contractors, we can more efficiently process your transactions and better offer you a variety of products and services. A partial list of the services we contract for includes the following:
- Amtrak Guest Rewards program management
- Amtrak email services
- Customer data storage and processing
- Application development
- Order fulfillment
- Payment processing, including processing your credit card or mobile payment account information to facilitate your payment between Amtrak and your bank
- Hotel reservations
- Car rental reservations
- Travel insurance
- Other transportation options
- Amtrak-sponsored market research studies
In addition to our contractors, we also have relationships with advertisers or other trustworthy business partners to provide you with information about various products and services that we believe would be of interest to you. The information that is collected from you by our use of third-party cookies is shared with certain third-party technology vendors in order for us to enable the delivery of targeted ads about our products and services, including the products and services of our partners, when you visit non-affiliated web sites after visiting the Site. You may choose to opt-out of our re-target advertising, at least for certain participating companies who are voluntary members of the Digital Advertising Alliance by visiting the DAA website located at www.digitaladvertisingalliance.org. Note that not all of our partners may be participants of the DAA so we encourage you to contact these partners directly through their own web sites to request that you have yourself removed from their targeted ads. We cannot guarantee that your request will be honored by every one of our non-DAA member partners, however.
To the extent necessary, we may also share your information with courts, law enforcement authorities, regulators, government officials or other parties where it is reasonably necessary for the establishment, exercise or defense of a legal or equitable claim.
If you make a request for information about, subscribe to or make an online purchase of, goods or services offered by one of our business partners on the Site, you are giving us your express permission to share your personal information with that business partner so that your request, subscription, or purchase can be fulfilled under that partner's own online privacy policies and practices. If you enter an Amtrak sweepstakes or contest, your personal information may be shared with the Amtrak business partners who are co-sponsors of the sweepstakes or contest and who are likely to have different privacy policies and practices than Amtrak.
If you are a resident of the state of California, under the California Civil Code § 1798.83, you are entitled to request information regarding which third parties Amtrak has shared personal information in the immediately preceding calendar year. To do so, send a request for information indicating your preference as to how you would like us to respond to your request (i.e., email or postal mail). To request such information, either send an email via the Contact Us page on the site (select the California Privacy Rights subject option), or contact us via postal mail, proper postage pre-paid, at:
Amtrak Office of Customer Relations
1 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001
Attention: California Privacy Rights Request
All requests sent via postal mail must be labelled "Your California Privacy Rights" on the envelope or post card and must be clearly stated on the actual request. For all requests, please include your name, street address (if you would like a response via postal mail), city, state, and zip code. We will not accept requests via telephone or fax. We are not responsible for notices that are not labelled or sent properly, or do not have complete information.
We may disclose to prospective partners, advertisers and other selected third parties aggregated user statistics data (for example, a statistic indicating that 45% of our users are female) in order to describe our services to these third parties, and for other lawful purposes.
We reserve the right to disclose personal information when we have reason to believe that disclosing this information is necessary to identify, contact, bring or defend against legal action involving someone who may be violating this Policy or who may be causing injury to or interference with (either intentionally or unintentionally) Amtrak's rights or property, other Amtrak users or anyone else who could be harmed by such activities. We may disclose or access account information for administrative or other purposes that we deem necessary to maintain or improve our products, services or the operation of the Site, for law enforcement purposes, or when we believe in good faith that the law requires it.
Please also be aware that when you click on an advertisement on another site that is linked to Amtrak.com, or when you otherwise use web sites that link to the Amtrak.com site, your personal information may be collected by those sites. This Policy does not cover the privacy practices of any such other web sites, and we cannot accept responsibility or liability for the privacy practices of those other sites. Please refer to those sites' privacy policies for information about their practices.
When you join the Amtrak Guest Rewards program, you agree to allow Amtrak to share with participating business partners of the Amtrak Guest Rewards program your personal information for the purpose of providing you with information and promotions. Please refer to Section 9 of this Policy to learn about how the Amtrak Guest Rewards program uses your personal information.
Amtrak provides reservation and ticketing services for other carriers and travel-related service providers. By using the Site for reservation and/or ticketing for the products or services of another carrier or travel-related service provider, you expressly give permission to share your personal information with that carrier or service provider, who shall treat your personal information in accordance with its own privacy policies and practices. For information about the privacy policies and practices of another carrier or service provider, please contact that carrier or service provider directly.
When you make reservations, place orders, or access account information from the Site, we use encryption technology to safeguard the confidentiality of your personal information as it travels over the Internet. We protect against unauthorized access all of the customer data we collect by means of firewalls and other security measures.
Your Amtrak Guest Rewards membership account information (should you enroll in the Amtrak Guest Rewards program) are password-protected. We recommend that you do not divulge your password to anyone. Also remember to sign out of your Amtrak account and close your browser window or the mobile application when you have finished.
When you give Amtrak personal information about you, that information may be sent electronically to servers outside and separate from Amtrak and outside of the state where you originally entered the information. In addition, that information may be used, stored and processed outside of Amtrak and outside of the state where you entered that information. Whenever we handle personal information as described above, regardless of where this occurs, we take steps to ensure that your personal information is treated securely.
Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be absolutely secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to Amtrak.com, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission, we make our best effort to ensure its security on our systems. However, we cannot accept liability for disclosure of any personal information due to errors in transmission or unauthorized ads or errors and omissions of third parties.
When you join Amtrak Guest Rewards, you can choose not to receive information and offers by email.
You may change your preferences regarding whether you want to receive mail or email at any time by accessing and updating your Amtrak Guest Rewards Profile. You may access your Profile by clicking on the 'My Profile' link under the My Account drop-down menu on the header of most pages of the Amtrak.com web site.
Within the Amtrak Mobile App you may access your user profile by going to the Account section.
You may make changes to your Amtrak Guest Rewards program information by accessing your Amtrak Guest Rewards account information online at www.amtrak.com or, by contacting the Amtrak Guest Rewards Service Center at 1-800-307-5000. If you have processed a request to delete, correct or update any part of your Amtrak Guest Rewards membership account, we will make every reasonable effort to see that your instructions to delete and/or make revisions are also communicated to and/or accessed by our contract service providers who may have received your personal information and that they too have either deleted and/or revised the information in accordance with your latest instructions.
Please note that our contract service providers require a reasonable amount of time to update, correct or delete the information in accordance with your instructions.
We will send email correspondence regarding Amtrak products and services to customers who have a User Profile and who have opted into the email program.
We also may, from time to time, offer you the choice to receive promotional information about our trustworthy business partners by email. If you do not want to receive such email messages, you will have the opportunity to indicate your choice when such services are offered. You also may change your email preferences at any time by accessing your Amtrak Guest Rewards. If you have requested to receive emails from Amtrak but have not joined Amtrak Guest Rewards, you may opt out of those emails by clicking the opt-out link in the emails you receive from Amtrak.
If you have questions or concerns regarding this Policy or our privacy practices, you may use the form on the Contact Us page at the top of most pages on the Amtrak.com web site. If you are a California resident, select California Privacy Rights from the drop-down menu on the page. Be certain to provide your complete mailing address on the form. You may access the 'Contact Us' page by clicking the link at the bottom of most pages on this site.
If you enroll as a member of the Amtrak Guest Rewards program, there are special supplemental privacy practices and rules that apply to the personal information that you provide. These special rules and privacy practices, which you understand and expressly agree to when you join the Amtrak Guest Rewards program, are presented below. Please note that these special rules and practices pertain only to the Amtrak Guest Rewards program. They do not apply to the personal information that you provide to us elsewhere at Amtrak.
In the event of any inconsistency between any portion of Section 9 and any other portion of this Policy, that portion of Section 9 that is inconsistent with any other portion of this Policy supersedes and governs over the inconsistent Policy term(s) with respect to the privacy rules and practices of the information collected under the program.
When you become an Amtrak Guest Rewards member, we collect your name, email address, password and email marketing preferences. We may request other information which you may provide at your option. This optional information includes your mailing and billing addresses, mobile, home and work telephone numbers, purpose of most travel, account authorized user, preferred departure and arrival stations, date of birth and gender.
Amtrak may also receive personal information about you from participating business partners of the Amtrak Guest Rewards program.
Choices are available to you regarding the use and sharing of your personal information. By joining the Amtrak Guest Rewards program, you expressly give us your permission that the personal information that you have provided to us by joining the Amtrak Guest Rewards program may be accessed by or shared with our program's trustworthy business partners through our reputable contract service providers under that partner's own policies and practices.
In addition, you agree that we may update and/or revise database information that we currently have about you. You may also agree that we may send you by email or mail information about the program, and other information, including information provided by our program's participating business partners. These practices are necessary to administer the program and its services. We will also inform you about special offers and promotions regarding products and services that may be of interest to you.
When you enroll in the program, you may elect not to receive special information and offers by email, mobile or mail. You may also at any time change your preferences regarding whether you want to receive email, mobile or mail by accessing your membership account at Amtrak.com or by contacting the Amtrak Guest Rewards Program Service Center at 1-800-307-5000. Your preferences can be customized based on the type of communications you wish to receive from Amtrak Guest Rewards.