How to Purchase Tickets - Online, Mobile and More
Traveling on Amtrak is as easy as telling us where and you want to travel. With several ways to reserve and buy your tickets, we're ready to help you get your ticket to ride.
Purchase tickets at any time on Amtrak.com and the Amtrak app with:
- Valid credit card (American Express, Discover®, Mastercard®, VISA, Universal Air Travel Plan, Diners Club, JCB or China Union Pay)
- Apple Pay, Google PayTM and PayPal
- Amtrak Guest Rewards points
- Amtrak gift card
Download the free Amtrak app for iPhone® and Android™ today for simple, intuitive access to all the travel information you need, whenever you need it.
For added protection against potential fraud, credit card transactions will be screened by Mastercard® ID Check™, Visa Secure®, American Express SafeKey® and Discover® ProtectBuy®. Although we host these sessions, they are private exchanges between the customer and their card issuer. Amtrak does not monitor or capture any information from the screening exchange. Management and maintenance of the security screening program is the responsibility of the card issuer.
As an alternative, you can purchase your tickets at a Quik-Trak kiosk at the station. Quik-Trak kiosks are located at most larger Amtrak stations.
You can get information and purchase tickets 24 hours a day by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245). Julie, the Amtrak automated, voice-activated agent, is happy to help. Or, if you need live, personal assistance, just say "agent" or press the "0" button on your telephone. For TTY service, call 1-800-523-6590.
You can purchase Amtrak tickets through a qualified travel agent.
In most circumstances, you must purchase a ticket before you board a train. On most Amtrak trains, only the full, undiscounted, unrestricted fare will be available for purchase onboard the train. This is regardless of reservations made or fares previously quoted by ticket agents, Amtrak.com or elsewhere. Higher fares usually apply when purchasing tickets onboard the train. To secure the best available fare, passengers should purchase tickets prior to boarding the train.
You can purchase tickets in person at any staffed Amtrak station. At most staffed stations, we accept Amtrak gift cards, credit cards, and debit cards with a credit card logo.
Credit and debit cards are accepted for the purchase of Amtrak tickets and services at all staffed stations. Debit cards must have a credit card logo and will be processed as credit card transactions; cards that require the entry of a PIN (personal identification number) are not accepted. There is no minimum amount required for credit and debit card purchases.
The following rules govern the acceptance of credit and debit cards at Amtrak ticket counters:
- We accept American Express, Discover®, MasterCard®, VISA, Universal Air Travel Plan, Diners Club, JCB or China Union Pay credit and debit cards at ticketing locations.
- Amtrak ticket agents accept only valid, unexpired cards.
- The person whose name is embossed on the front must sign the card on the back of the card. Unsigned cards are not accepted. The signature on the back of the card must match the signature on the ticket or charge form.
- Credit and debit cards are accepted for the amount of the sale only and may not be used to obtain cash.
- In all cases, the Amtrak policies pertaining to identification requirements apply when using a credit or debit card for purchase of tickets or services.
Amtrak gift cards may also be redeemed at the station.
Amtrak does not accept travelers cheques or money orders. Personal checks and cashier’s checks are only accepted for group travel, by prior arrangement with the Amtrak Group Desk.